Name:
Location: India

Friday, May 06, 2005

lakshya, the word is lakshya

those were the words of preity zinta when hrithik roshan meets her to tell that he has finally found his "woh kya kehte hain usse" aka lakshya. though i am fast approaching the age of 24 and have no intention to go to 18000 ft to discover myself, i love this movie. since the first time when i watched the movie in Inox @ kolkata sitting in the first row cornermost seat (for which i paid 180 bucks) to the fifth time i watched it after my third term, my appreciation for the movie has increased.
the movie has been shot just beautifully in the hilly terrains of kargil (u see the difference when u compare the dvd print of this movie with other movies) and the music is simply superb. 7 tracks incl the 2 instrumental complement the theme of the movie perfectly. my fav song keeps changing between the title song (which i play to full volume bfor leaving for exams hoping that it gives me some inspiration to crack the exam, which incidentally happens rarely), the romantic number "agar main kahoon" or the senti song "kitni baatein" (a word of advice abt this song, movie has only 1 stanza, for the other 2 listen to the mp3, lyrics r too good)depending on the circumstances that i find myself in.
above all, what i like abt the movie is the concept and the way the story evolves around it. though neither i belong to a rich family having a servant like murli who wakes me up every morning with a glass of juice and whom i ask to switch on the geyser, nor a big brother like udesh whom i can ask to courier me the latest jurrasic park dvds, nor a pretty girlfriend like romila dutta (sigh!!) who can inspire me to pursue my dream, but inspite of all this, i somehow feel related to the character of karan shergill everytime i watch the movie.
and the reason i feel that way is this. i passed out of iit and while working in bangalore, decided to pursue management. i appeared for cat and now i am at iimc but somehow i feel that i made this decision mainly because i wanted to escape from a coding job and partially owning to the "follow the herd" mentality. i don't remember any time when i suddenly woke up from my dreams and decided "yes, mba is what i have to do", i think all that i used to utter during my iim interviews was nothing but made-up and mugged-up lies. having said that and after my current tryst with working in a financial firm, i am sure i won't be thrilled with the kind of work i will be asked to do even after completing my mba.
so where do i go from here. sometimes i feel, i better study further, and something interesting than a mba this time. it' s coming of age for me and i feel that it's hightime i get serious about what i have to do after my mba. looks like in the end, this won't be less cumbersome a task than scaling the 18000 ft heights :)

12 Comments:

Blogger Varun Singh said...

read

12:43 PM  
Blogger Pankaj Jain said...

Lets find how many of our batchmates are passionate or at least happy doing their stuff. We can right away count out the Bangalore guys from this list :P.

7:02 PM  
Blogger himanshu agrawal said...

jat boy, i fully agree with ur points, but most of us have sometimes or the other worked in adverse situations and stress and we don't mind doing that.
The point i am trying to make is are we doing that just to fulfill our duties or in the pursuit of passion. I personally feel in 99% of the cases it's the first reason.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eternal crib :)

Heman, howz the weekend been ?

3:35 AM  
Blogger himanshu agrawal said...

really yaar this is becoming an eternal crib with me, this time i tried real hard to avoid cribbing but i guess it proved irresistible in the end..
nothing new on the weekend, watched a movie last night, will be watching another tonight. as chamad says, ulti ginti shuru kar di hai :)

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heman,
U said it. it is "follow the herd" mentality. Only few r willing to take risk & act differently.

iit ke baad iims. phir uske baad koi US/European mba. yeh degree ke peeche daud kab khatam hogi.

luv,

6:17 AM  
Blogger Varun Singh said...

Definitely hagnesh, ideally one must follow his passion and live happily ever after. But it might not be the most sensible move always. We all can figure out what's best for our careers (following the herd, in most cases), we can work our bit to make our lives comfortable (crack this exam, that exam, take this job, do good in job). This path, though might not be the one leading to our passions, still this is the path towards a better living. I don't buy that only internal happiness can make one happy. We all need money and all to be comfortable. Once we grow out of these basic nessicities, we find it all hollow. This could be time to pursue one's passion (Thakur's plans to retire at the early age of 30 seems to be well motivated in this direction.). MY point is, even if we aren't holding the course towards our passions, we must keep on putting in our best efforts. At such an tender age, it's too much of risk to go all out in search of that one elusive passion. There's simply too much at stake.

As for me, I haven't yet identified my passions :). I'm still trying to carve my way on the path defined by many. IIT+IIM+MNC combo seems definitly very lucrative and its probably most obvious. Moreover, I'm not totally bugged of software too! So I'm not really working against my wishes. As long as, I'm not forcing the work on me and it's paying handsome, I'd love to continue. Why not follow the herd when its leading to greener pastures?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

Hey Himanshu!

My first visit to your blog. Came here following a link from Varun's blog. (Reached there following another link from another blog). I think it takes a lot of courage to come out and accept what you did in your blog. Me? I took a couple of .Net classes last year and still haven't gathered the nerves to confess that it was NOT what I wanted :P I probably did that just because everyone else was doing it and hoped it would land me a decent job too. Well, thank goodness I "woke up" in time and now am pursuing a career that I really love. Hope you find your "true calling" soon - and here's wishing you that it pays well too :D

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ with Varun on one count, and probably my views would be better presented vis-a-vis his.

Ours is not a 'tender' age. A few years back, ours decisions were influenced also by what our parents, our close family members, thought. That factor still holds, but I think that with the success that you guys have had, they'd trust you in any path you choose now. 5 years down the line, your decisions would be influenced by your spouse's wishes, which may or may not concur with yours. At the moment, we have the independence to choose our path, and the understanding of the world to make the correct choices, or take the correct risks. Plus the advantage of high safety net: even if I fall, I won't fall as much to hurt myself real bad.

Yes, a lot is at stake, but the stakes are only going to increase hereon. You'll have a family of your own, and responsibilities come alongwith. You might hold a high-paying high-prestige job later, and then you should be able to pursuade yourself to give it all up: possible, but not easy!

Or let it all be decided by identification of the passion. Wait, and keep thinking, till that one passion of yours shows up somewhere, and promise yourself today that you'd give up all you have the day that happens, just to pursue your passion.

Basically this was all loud thinking, in an attempt to pursuade myself to take courses in different fields when I start my Ph.D. :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Varun Singh said...

Right said fred! I can't say as I don't have any burning passions, as of yet. But I guess the best will be the middle way (isn't it always!). Make a balance between passion & other life. Why leave job if you think photography is your passion. Do it along with 9-5 job :)

3:51 AM  
Blogger Pankaj Jain said...

@Varun
Only if all ppl had software jobs :P. Though even at that time. I didn't find/follow any passions. Is it not good to have changing passions instead of that one burning passion. keeps one involved and satisfied.

@Chirag
Yeh ek aur MBA :O. Bhool ke bhi nahin.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't resist this last comment:
"If you're driving while kissing, you're not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home